WebArtz - The Web Design Forum
Welcome to WebArtz, Guest!

WebArtz is a nice place for discussions related to web designing and coding. We help our members to code their own website templates with HTML and CSS. We give them advice on various issues.

To know more about WebArtz Forum, visit the About Us page.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum. Click the register link below and become a part of this forum.

Thank You

WebArtz - The Web Design Forum
Welcome to WebArtz, Guest!

WebArtz is a nice place for discussions related to web designing and coding. We help our members to code their own website templates with HTML and CSS. We give them advice on various issues.

To know more about WebArtz Forum, visit the About Us page.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum. Click the register link below and become a part of this forum.

Thank You

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sanket

Sanket
Administrator
Administrator
Fire-safe cigarette delay 'costing lives' _46141365_000056257-1
More than 100 people die in the UK every year from cigarette fires

Anti-smoking campaigners say lives will be lost because of a delay in bringing in new self-extinguishing cigarettes.

So-called fire-safe cigarettes burn out quickly when dropped, meaning they are less likely to cause fires in the home.

They were due to be introduced across the EU later this year, but work on developing an EU standard is running at least six months behind schedule.

Deborah Arnott, of anti-smoking group Ash, said the cigarettes would mean a "significant decline" in fire deaths.

More than 100 people die in the UK every year from fires caused by cigarettes which are dropped or discarded without being extinguished.

Fire-safe cigarettes, which have barriers of flame-proof paper, meaning they burn themselves out, are already the only kind on sale in most US states and in Canada and Australia.

'Certainty needed'

The 27 EU member states gave the go-ahead in November 2007 for self-extinguishing cigarettes to be introduced.

Ms Arnott said they should be introduced by manufacturers across the EU immediately.

She added: "If they were, then basically we should see a significant decline in the number of smoking-related fires. These fires kill at least one person a day in Europe."

But Mr Ogden said such urgency would not be practical.

"If the manufacturers introduced these new cigarettes in the European market, only to be told a few months later 'No, no, that's not the standard, we want this standard', then they'd have to go through the whole process of changing the project design all over again," he said.

"So we can't make the move until we have certainty."

source: bbc.co.uk

---------------------------
I was surprised with this statistic

http://www.webartzforum.com

MrMega

MrMega
Registered Member
Registered Member
Wow, I've been bad about cigarettes since when I heard of it. See this? This post above? It shows proof.

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
Sanket wrote:I was surprised with this statistic

I am also surprised with this Shocked

Fred100

Fred100
Registered Member
Registered Member
ankillien wrote:
Sanket wrote:I was surprised with this statistic

I am also surprised with this Shocked
Me too Shocked
I mean almost half of them are dead because of suicide bombers , & the rest are gonna die because of cigarettes , I don't get it why do people ignore the fact that smoking causes cancer , Sad
& It's not normal that I read BIG stuff like that , idk why I had some feeling that i should have a look Suspect

http://www.art-castle.biz/forum.htm

SophieDophs

SophieDophs
Registered Member
Registered Member
"If the manufacturers introduced these new cigarettes in the European market, only to be told a few months later 'No, no, that's not the standard, we want this standard', then they'd have to go through the whole process of changing the project design all over again," he said.
Okay, but if they did introduce it now and then have to change the whole process later, just think how many potential lives they could save sooner rather than later.

They should introduce it now.

Sanket

Sanket
Administrator
Administrator
I want to request to whoever reads this.
"Smoking Kills"
Forward this message & remind the message to whoever smokes near you !

Jophy

Jophy
Registered Member
Registered Member
My uncle makes smoking as his breakfast, lunch & dinner, too bad we can't stop him... Sad

http://www.socialtechforum.com/

Sanket

Sanket
Administrator
Administrator
My dad used to smoke, now he has stopped.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]