WebArtz - The Web Design Forum
Welcome to WebArtz, Guest!

WebArtz is a nice place for discussions related to web designing and coding. We help our members to code their own website templates with HTML and CSS. We give them advice on various issues.

To know more about WebArtz Forum, visit the About Us page.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum. Click the register link below and become a part of this forum.

Thank You

WebArtz - The Web Design Forum
Welcome to WebArtz, Guest!

WebArtz is a nice place for discussions related to web designing and coding. We help our members to code their own website templates with HTML and CSS. We give them advice on various issues.

To know more about WebArtz Forum, visit the About Us page.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum. Click the register link below and become a part of this forum.

Thank You

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

1Accespted Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:17 pm

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
First topic message reminder :

Forumotion Theme Changer
Style sheet changer for Forumotion forums.

Hello Everyone Very Happy

I know, all Forumotion users want to have a theme changer or having multiple themes for their Forumotion forums. Here is a simple tutorial that will guide you to install a theme changer.

First of all, you need to go to get the JavaScript code which is provided by DynamicDrive.com. The JavaScript file is found on this page.

• Navigate to your Admin Panel > Modules > HTML Page Management > Create New Page > Add the JavaScript code in the page and save it.

• Navigate to Admin CP > Display > Templates > General > overall_header_new
    Find out this part in the template...
    Code:
    </head>

Right before that you need to link the HTML page that you just created. You need to use the following code for that...
    Code:
    <script src="HTML PAGE URL HERE" type="text/javascript"></script>

• Now you need to attach stylesheets Wink You can use the following code to link the stylesheets/themes.
    Code:
    <link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="default" href="DEFAULT STYLE SHEET URL HERE" />

<link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="theme1" href="STYLE SHEET 1 URL HERE" />

<link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="theme2" href="STYLE SHEET 2URL HERE" />

You can add as many stylesheets/themes as yo want. Just update the title attribute with increasing number. Like if you are going to add one more stylesheet, the code will look like this...
    Code:
    <link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="theme3" href="STYLE SHEET 3 URL HERE" />
    Notice the value title attribute was changed to theme3.

Remember that the <link...> tag for attaching stylesheet must go before the <script...> tag which you used to link the JavaScript code.

Note : You can add as many style sheets as you want but don't forget to put link to your default style sheet too so that your members can change back to normal style as well. Title for default styleheet should be set to 'default'.

• Now you need to create radio buttons with with the members can choose style they like. Here is the HTML code for that which should be placed anywhere inside the body tag. You can put it in footer or on top of the page. We will put it on top of the page. Add the following code right after the <body> tag starts in the template code.
    Code:
    <form id="switchform">

<!-- Choose theme 1 -->
    <input type="radio" name="choice" value="default" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Default Theme<br />

<!-- Choose theme 2 -->
    <input type="radio" name="choice" value="theme1" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Theme 1 Name<br />

<!-- Choose theme 3 -->
    <input type="radio" name="choice" value="theme2" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Theme 2 Name
    </form>

Notice the value attribute in the codes. It should be corresponding to the title of the respective theme.

• Its almost done now. Save the template, publish the template and see if it works.

Hope the tutorial is simple enough to make sense to you Smile

Thank You Very Happy

The credit for the JavaScript and HTML codes goes to DynamicDrive.com. To learn more on how this code works and how to customize it, please visit here.

How to know the URL of desired style sheet?
Spoiler:

Notice : This tutorial is copyrighted by WebArtz Forum. You may not publish it on anywhere without written permission from the administrators.

Last edited by ankillien on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

51Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:13 am

oh damn :/ i rly should see this myself lol
thank you very much Very Happy it work now.

crysis992

52Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 am

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
crysis992 wrote:oh damn :/ i rly should see this myself lol
thank you very much Very Happy it work now.

crysis992

Glad I could help Very Happy

53Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Tropica

Registered Member
Registered Member
Could you tell me,
Where can I find the Style Sheet URL for the default (the custom theme I use right now)?
Thank You.

54Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Sanket

Sanket
Administrator
Administrator
Can you provide the link on hitskin.com of your theme you use? I can then tell you the style sheet url.

http://www.webartzforum.com

55Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Tropica

Registered Member
Registered Member
But...
I do not use from hitskin, I have changed it manually from ACP> Display (I use forumotion) ?

56Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Sanket

Sanket
Administrator
Administrator
It must be somewhere on hitskin.com
Just search for it.

Or else we will need to upload the css file to a webhost. Then we will get a link.

http://www.webartzforum.com

57Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 am

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
Tropica wrote:But...
I do not use from hitskin, I have changed it manually from ACP> Display (I use forumotion) ?

Hello,

Please provide me a link to your forum and I'll give you link to your custom style sheet Very Happy

58Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Tropica

Registered Member
Registered Member
Thank you very much to Mr.Sanket and Ankillien.

my forum is: Link Removed

but I am afraid if it is not polite to give that url here, if so, please just edit / delete it.

Thanks again. Very Happy

Last edited by Sanket on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removal of URL, LINK PM'ed to Ankillien.)

59Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:38 am

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
Tropica wrote:Thank you very much to Mr.Sanket and Ankillien.

my forum is: Link Removed

but I am afraid if it is not polite to give that url here, if so, please just edit / delete it.

Thanks again. Very Happy

Here is link to your default style sheet..
http://www.gayindoforum.com/59-ltr.css

60Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Tropica

Registered Member
Registered Member
Very Happy
Thank youuuu

btw, the best luck for Ankillen for his exams (I read form his signature)

61Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:35 am

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
hello there.
first of all i would like to say a big "thank you" for your tutorial.
i tried to apply it to my forum but i have some problems.
  • it changes everything except the icons. is it possible to change the navigation and all the other buttons also??
  • everytime i enter a topic the theme changes to the default... why happens this?

my forums adress is this

thank you in advance
i honestly have read all the answers above my question but i cannot figure what i have to do in order to solve my problem.
i suppose that the problem with the images is a problem based in my .css file. i think that i have to add something(what i did was to copy the basic css code from my temporary templates).
as far as the radio buttons i cannot think which is my fault.

thank you again for your time (sorry for my english) All the best

62Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:07 am

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
Hi ecatodarcus!

Welcome to WebArtz Very Happy

This tutorial is actually a style changer and not theme changer. It on;y changes your CSS so it won't be able to the images and buttons which are added via xHTML. It can only change the colors, text formatting, backgorund images etc.

About the default style, I'll visit your forum and check Smile

63Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 pm

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
first of all i would like to thank you very much for the fast answer!!!
ah ok! i tried more than 2 hours to find out what was my code fault and my fault was in understanding(i need to exercise my english,haha!!).
so what i can do is to find transparent icons in order to fit in any theme?
the forum that i posted is a testing forum, if i manage to make the theme changer as i want i will apply it to my "good" forum! My classmates will be very excited!

64Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:06 pm

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
i tried to find out what causes the change to the default theme when i navigate in to my forum and i figured out that when i navigate in my forum the theme changes to the installed one not to the one that is named default in the code.

did you understood what i mean??

thanks...

65Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:10 pm

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
Actually, there is no way to change the icons and buttons with theme changer.
I'll check your forum to find out the default theme bug.

66Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:17 pm

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
yes yes i understood that i cannot change the icons and the logo. what i said was that i will make them(the icons and the logo) transparent in order to fit with the background's color (i don't want them to have different background color, that's why Smile ).

thank you for your reply!

67Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 pm

It is possible to change the logo and the Navigation bar and some other things. If you use a phpbb2 Forum, and if you dont use the css from hitskin.
Then it is possible.
1. Download the css from the style that you want to use.
2. Edit the css, for example this is the css id for the Gallery button in the Navigation bar:
Code:

#i_icon_mini_gallery {
   background:url(Link to your Image);
   width: width of the button;
   height: height of the button;
}
3. Do this for every button, in your style 1 css and standard css from your forum.
4. Delete the navigation images in your administration panel.

If you did that, it should change the Navigation bar if you change the style via the style select.
same for banner:
Code:
#i_logo {
{
   background:url(Link to your Image);
   width: width of the button;
   height: height of the button;
}

I hope you understand what i mean lol

crysis992

68Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:22 am

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
YES YES!!!
i fixed it!!!
i only had to put the <script> after the <link> as you mentioned!!!
it was that easy!!
i was so careless!!!
thanks! it's a beautiful tutorial!!!!it's great!!!

69Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:38 am

Light

Registered Member
Registered Member
well i got this to work but once i go into my forums topics if changes back to the defalut css theme can u tell y this happens

also i would like it to be a drop menu and i try to make one this is the code i use but it dose not work

Code:
<form>
<select>
<option><!-- Choose theme 1 -->
<input type="radio" name="choice" value="default" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Default Theme<br /></option>

<option><!-- Choose theme 2 -->
<input type="radio" name="choice" value="theme1" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Theme 1 Name<br /></option>

<option><!-- Choose theme 3 -->
<input type="radio" name="choice" value="theme2" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Theme 2 Name<br /></option>

<option><!-- Choose theme 4 -->
<input type="radio" name="choice" value="theme3" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Theme 3 Name<br /></option>
</select>

70Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:48 am

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
hey i had the same problem.
what i did wrong was that i've put
Code:
before and not after
Code:
<link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="default" href="DEFAULT STYLE SHEET URL HERE" />

<link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="theme1" href="STYLE SHEET 1 URL HERE" />

<link rel="alternate stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" title="theme2" href="STYLE SHEET 2URL HERE" />
As soon as i've put them in the right order the whole thing worked perfect.

so check at first if
Code:
is after
Code:

if their order is correct i do not know what happens.
what is your forum's adress??

71Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:54 am

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
if i understood right what a drop down menu is you have to do this simple change in the instruction that ankillien given.
instead of pasting this

Code:
    <form id="switchform">

<!-- Choose theme 1 -->
    <input type="radio" name="choice" value="default" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Default Theme<br />

<!-- Choose theme 2 -->
    <input type="radio" name="choice" value="theme1" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Theme 1 Name<br />

<!-- Choose theme 3 -->
    <input type="radio" name="choice" value="theme2" onClick="chooseStyle(this.value, 60)">Theme 2 Name
    </form>

you have to paste this one

Code:
<form id="switchform">
<select name="switchcontrol" size="1" onChange="chooseStyle(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value, 60)">
<option value="none" selected="selected">Default style</option>
<option value="blue-theme">Blue Theme</option>
<option value="brown-theme">Brown Theme</option>
</select>
</form>
be careful to this one!: <option value="the title of your theme">Brown Theme</option>

72Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:58 am

Light

Registered Member
Registered Member
k thanks i got the theme and drop menu to work Smile

73Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:27 am

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
ok! i'm happy that i've helped you.
1)i just checked your forum. you have another mistake(if i am right)
you have to paste the part
Code:
<form id="switchform">

<!-- Choose theme 1 -->

<!-- Choose theme 2 -->

<!-- Choose theme 3 -->
    </form>

just after this one
Code:

<body background="http://i66.servimg.com/u/f66/14/96/13/88/bg10.png" bgcolor="#adadad" text="#000000" link="#454545" vlink="#5493b4">
.do this first.

2)then if you want to make a drop down menu you have to replace this one
Code:
<form id="switchform">

<!-- Choose theme 1 -->

<!-- Choose theme 2 -->

<!-- Choose theme 3 -->
    </form>

with this
Code:
<form id="switchform">
<select name="switchcontrol" size="1" onChange="chooseStyle(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value, 60)">
<option value="none" selected="selected">Default style</option>
<option value="blue-theme">Blue Theme</option>
<option value="brown-theme">Brown Theme</option>
</select>
</form>

be careful here <option value=...>Name</option>
the value has to be equal with the title of the theme used in the <link> section

edit ok then! i am glad i've helped you!!!
i let this post for future reference

74Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:36 am

Light

Registered Member
Registered Member
well i got the drop menu but i don't get wat u mean on number 1

75Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:43 am

ecatodarcus

Registered Member
Registered Member
does your drop down menu works? if it works i was wrong. if it does not work inform me to explane u what i told you in my last post.

76Accespted Re: Forumotion Theme Changer! Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 am

Light

Registered Member
Registered Member
yea the drop meni works find thanks for all the help Laughing

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum