WebArtz - The Web Design Forum
Welcome to WebArtz, Guest!

WebArtz is a nice place for discussions related to web designing and coding. We help our members to code their own website templates with HTML and CSS. We give them advice on various issues.

To know more about WebArtz Forum, visit the About Us page.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum. Click the register link below and become a part of this forum.

Thank You

WebArtz - The Web Design Forum
Welcome to WebArtz, Guest!

WebArtz is a nice place for discussions related to web designing and coding. We help our members to code their own website templates with HTML and CSS. We give them advice on various issues.

To know more about WebArtz Forum, visit the About Us page.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum. Click the register link below and become a part of this forum.

Thank You

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Forum that has images and no posts/topics Empty Forum that has images and no posts/topics Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Hello webartz! I was wondering if anyone knew how to make this thing I was looking to do. I would like a forum but with no new topic, locked, etc, last post or title. Basically what I am looking for is a blank forum that I can add a few images and text to. I think Joel had something similar to what I am looking for except it had affiliate buttons on it on his old forum.
Thanks!
Agent

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
ummm..

I think you don't want the traditional forum index tables and instead of that you just need images that link to different forums and it should not have any new/old/locked icons nor last post etc.

Am I getting it right?

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Yes but I am wanting to be able to place one picture on it and about 50 words

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
Well, thats actually easy.

You need to edit the index_box template. Remove the forum tables from there and create a custom HTML table that has an image and text.

If you do this, the forum index won't update itself if you add/remove forums from Admin panel. You have to do it manually then.

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
your talking about making this right? This is what I want to try and do
Forum that has images and no posts/topics 21b2lpy

All you need to do is re-create the HTML of a category and put it in the homepage message. By using the same classes used in the category HTML, your box will look like a category box. The .extras class can be used, if needed, to differentiate your box from a normal category box.

The code would look like this for phpBB3:
Code:
<div class="forabg extras">
<ul class="topiclist">
<li class="header">
<dl class="icon">
<dd class="dterm">Extras</dd>
<dd class="topics">Topics</dd>
<dd class="posts">Posts</dd>
<dd class="lastpost"><span>Last Posts</span></dd>
</dl></li></ul>
<ul class="topiclist forums">
<li class="row">
YOUR EXTRAS CODE GOES HERE
</li>
</ul>
</div>

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
I am using punBB. This is in the template section editing right?

I'm sorry to hear you're using PunBB. This would have been a trivial task if you were using phpBB3.

Given how truly crappy the CSS is on PunBB boards, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck!

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
dion wrote:I'm sorry to hear you're using PunBB. This would have been a trivial task if you were using phpBB3.

Given how truly crappy the CSS is on PunBB boards, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck!
Yes I totally agree with that but for that forum I am using forumotion and phpbb3 doesn't offer template editing. The only other option I would have is phpbb2 which in my opinion is even worse. If forumotion ever thinks about releasing template editing in phpbb3, then I would definatly switch

What is it you need to do that requires template editing?

It's a serious question. I've found just one feature in templates that I cannot duplicate through javascript -- a tooltip that shows the contents of the first post in a topic when you hover over the topic title. And getting that feature requires knowledge of a bug in the design of the templates!

And by using phpBB3 or IPB2/Invision, you get a vastly superior board from the beginning. That means there's a lot less work to get it to look the way you want...

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
I want to make it so the who's online section of the foum is in tabs, I want to add a copyright to the footer, I also want to do this thin with the header I don't know how to explain it.

First, read this post from me: http://www.webartzforum.com/-t2107.htm

Once you understand what I'm talking about, I'll show you how to add your own footer underneath the forumotion footer links in phpBB3 -- it's ONE LINE of code! The tabbed stats area? Using the above method it's easy since the code is readily available, but...do you want your forum to look like everybody else's forum? And if you can find a way to explain what you want done with the header, I can probably find a way to show you how to do it in phpBB3. Very Happy

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Ok I'll try and understand it, then pm you :)It might take a while. though Upset

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Is it possible to add stuff to the footer via CSS?

ankillien

ankillien
Administrator
Administrator
Agent24 wrote:Is it possible to add stuff to the footer via CSS?

You can add content using :after or :before in CSS but it won't be much helpful, I think.

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
dion wrote:I'm sorry to hear you're using PunBB. This would have been a trivial task if you were using phpBB3.

Could you teach me how to do this in phpbb3? I think we will go ahead and change to it Smile

ankillien wrote:
Agent24 wrote:Is it possible to add stuff to the footer via CSS?

You can add content using :after or :before in CSS but it won't be much helpful, I think.
So in other words, Its not really possible?

Agent24 wrote:

Could you teach me how to do this in phpbb3? I think we will go ahead and change to it Smile
See post #6 in this topic. Very Happy

Now, if you're talking about a footer, you'll need to create an HTML file like I described here:

http://www.webartzforum.com/-t2107.htm

and then I'll tell you what to add to the file to give yourself a custom footer at the bottom of every page. Like I said, it's ONE LINE of code!

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
ok, where exactly am I going to put this code?

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Bump...
Agent24 wrote:Where exactly am I going to put this code?

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Could I possibly get some help dion? I know, I'm a noob but I'm trying to learn this stuff Very Happy

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
This is solved Smile

Jophy

Jophy
Registered Member
Registered Member
Problem Solved => Topic Locked

http://www.socialtechforum.com/

Sponsored content