WebArtz - The Web Design Forum
Welcome to WebArtz, Guest!

WebArtz is a nice place for discussions related to web designing and coding. We help our members to code their own website templates with HTML and CSS. We give them advice on various issues.

To know more about WebArtz Forum, visit the About Us page.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum. Click the register link below and become a part of this forum.

Thank You

WebArtz - The Web Design Forum
Welcome to WebArtz, Guest!

WebArtz is a nice place for discussions related to web designing and coding. We help our members to code their own website templates with HTML and CSS. We give them advice on various issues.

To know more about WebArtz Forum, visit the About Us page.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum. Click the register link below and become a part of this forum.

Thank You

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

We need to move on?

Should we ship to other forum software? - Page 2 Vote_lcap65%Should we ship to other forum software? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 65% [ 13 ]
Should we ship to other forum software? - Page 2 Vote_lcap35%Should we ship to other forum software? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 35% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 20

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

1Should we ship to other forum software? - Page 2 Empty Should we ship to other forum software? Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:54 pm

YanOri

YanOri
Registered Member
Registered Member
First topic message reminder :

The title says it all, do you think webartz needs to ship to a different forum software, either phpbb3 or mybb (more preferred) ?

the other open source forum systems are more popular these days and i guess it would help us gain members who hate forumotion software as well.

cons : Decent amount needs to be paid for the hosting.

Seems to me that we agree about this far more than we disagree. Very Happy

I did say that ZetaBoards meets your needs better than here on forumotion. And we agree on the relative strengths of ZetaBoards over forumotion. I did see that you took advantage of the ZB code database on your forum...good for you!

But that isn't what this topic is about. You never bothered to address the big reason why I believe ZetaBoards is not a good home for WebArtz (it's English-only). What I read was a list of reasons why ZetaBoards was a good home for YOU. I didn't even mention that the owners of WebArtz are long-time staff members on forumotion's English support forum, and with the 5,000-10,000 credits each receives annually for services rendered, they have more than enough credits to keep WebArtz ad-free for many years.

Sanket

Sanket
Administrator
Administrator
We currently have 15000 credits on WebArtz Wink

http://www.webartzforum.com

RecAgenda

RecAgenda
NewsReporter
NewsReporter
dion wrote:You never bothered to address the big reason why I believe ZetaBoards is not a good home for WebArtz (it's English-only).

I can explain! Laughing Actually no I can't, I just totally forgot to address that. -_-

But the way I see it, WebArtz is an English-only board and all of our members seem to have an average - at least comprehensible - understanding of the English language.

What I read was a list of reasons why ZetaBoards was a good home for YOU. I didn't even mention that the owners of WebArtz are long-time staff members on forumotion's English support forum, and with the 5,000-10,000 credits each receives annually for services rendered, they have more than enough credits to keep WebArtz ad-free for many years.

Yes, ZetaBoards is good for me, if you want to point out selfishness. But from my experience is why I'm recommending it. Pardon the bias, but I did say I was open to other hosts as well. If there are equal, better, or more preferred hosts then I'm all for it and my offer to the staff still stands, regardless of whom they choose to go with.

In regards to finances and the expenses required; well... I've already pitched my offer to the WA staff. Its up to them to take it or leave it on the table.

http://www.recagenda.wordpress.com

Kasperx

Kasperx
Registered Member
Registered Member
All in all, a paid host with a proper CMS is much better than any free host.
I think that with all the mods that phpbb has webartz could use many t make a quite big comunity muhc bigger then now. I vote yes and think that you guys should move to a paid host now!

Jazeon

Jazeon
Registered Member
Registered Member
I liked Webartz being hosted by Forumotion actually.

YanOri

YanOri
Registered Member
Registered Member
Jazeon wrote:I liked Webartz being hosted by Forumotion actually.
Any particular reason for that ?

Naki

Naki
Registered Member
Registered Member
Lots of interesting posts and different opinions or knowledge. I don't know but everyone has its own choice and wishes but the host providen by forumation is the best one for now. All styles if you are good in css editings will work even in phbb3 and u can do whatever you want with them Very Happy .
An above posts said: Phbb3 is more difficult to be hacked ! Yea that's true

http://www.nasergashi.com

blindbat1457

Registered Member
Registered Member
I thought once you were with forumotion you couldn't get the database to switch to another host. I been trying to get this and forumotion tells me no. :/

I even offered to pay.

YanOri

YanOri
Registered Member
Registered Member
blindbat1457 wrote:I thought once you were with forumotion you couldn't get the database to switch to another host. I been trying to get this and forumotion tells me no. :/

I even offered to pay.

Officially, its still not possible Razz

RockerMan

RockerMan
Technician
Technician
Yeah, forumotion is not the best forum host as far as admin side.

http://www.graphics-post.com/

WHITESABBATH

Registered Member
Registered Member
Yes, and i too can get you hosting for under $2 USC.
forumotion isn't going to allow you sites data either. Been down that road already to know.

Nera

Nera
Technician
Technician
We transfered from Forumotion to an other hosting with myBB forum. Looks like a good idea^^

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Until_forever wrote:We transfered from Forumotion to an other hosting with myBB forum. Looks like a good idea^^
How glad are you that you switched?

Nera

Nera
Technician
Technician
To be honest with you, for me it was difficult to get used to a new platform. It was a forum with many members and a lot of activity (messages, threads, and members) and the shiping took to much time, quantity of threads made a problem. Our users were mostly FM users so it was hard for them to get used to.

But must say that all in all, not considering the fact on what I am used to and what I like, joomla with myBB has many advantages over FM, plugins, mods, options etc.
But must say that is still FM my favorite place to be. (:

Ezio

Ezio
Registered Member
Registered Member
I think not, because I think this forum already looks good.
But, it better to create a new forum with a different title, especially if using Invision, MyBB, or vBulletin. I strongly recommend to create a forum with a new title using that open source . Yo Woohoo

http://www.forumbargedoz.ce.ms

Spudster

Registered Member
Registered Member
my forum is on forumotion(in my sig)once i tried to move it then i lost 30 members online in 48 hours now i have only 8 users logging on a daily basis so swiyching host specially from a free host can be a risk of losing users then i moved back to forumotion slowing building the members & Activity backup again(i learnt by my mistake)

Fatal Dawn

Registered Member
Registered Member
I don't like forumotion software to be honest the security is terrible like Aashik said earlier. Out of the ones listed I would feel myBB would be the better upgrade than phpbb3, but besides that I don't feel we should ship.

Like Spud said above I have had experience where you move to a new host and the members can't adjust. It doesn't usually end up well and you lose much of your activity.

43Should we ship to other forum software? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should we ship to other forum software? Sun May 22, 2011 10:39 am

LyGitGfx

LyGitGfx
Registered Member
Registered Member
i think you should use smf. There vbulletin ran. you can add cusom templates and your own designs. Thats what i have been using for my website. you can add chat,forums,custom pages,FAQ and more.

-MS

Fatal Dawn

Registered Member
Registered Member
SMF has a 5 star rating on Forum Software Reviews. In fact recently I had thought about building a forum with SMF 2 lol.

Spoiler:

LyGitGfx

LyGitGfx
Registered Member
Registered Member
Thanks Dawn Very Happy

I have made some Smf forums if you would like a sample. They have no ads, No Host links. So you dont have to pay to have it Removed. You can also install a arcade,chat and more!.

-mS

Fatal Dawn

Registered Member
Registered Member
MrShawniee wrote:Thanks Dawn Very Happy

I have made some Smf forums if you would like a sample. They have no ads, No Host links. So you dont have to pay to have it Removed. You can also install a arcade,chat and more!.

-mS

You can pm me the links and I'll take a look when I have some time. Thanks a lot.

Russel

Russel
I agree the suggestions given now. Most of us would be happy if will be shipping to other forum software Smile

https://www.twitter.com/russeltubo

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
I was just wondering, has the staff made a decision whether or not they would stay with Forumotion?

Fatal Dawn

Registered Member
Registered Member
Agent24 wrote:I was just wondering, has the staff made a decision whether or not they would stay with Forumotion?

I am wondering the same. What is the staff considering for this suggestion?

YanOri

YanOri
Registered Member
Registered Member
Waiting for the final decision Smile

Agent24

Agent24
Registered Member
Registered Member
Still no answer?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]